This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them helps support this website. This post may also contain items gifted for consideration.
Can we talk EASY meals? After a day of work, the last thing I want to do is slave over the stove. This slow cooker split pea soup is delicious, easy and perfect for cold weather!
Let's talk easy dinner recipes. I'm a little ashamed to admit, I'm a HORRIBLE dinner chef. At the end of a long day, I'd rather play with my toddler than spend an hour in the kitchen preparing her meals. So my goal this fall? To try more easy recipes that have minimal prep time.
My solution? Our slow cooker. It's been the best investment I've made in MONTHS. Why? I spend a very short period of time the night before prepping ingredients…..and the morning of I just plug and go. When I get home, the house smells amazing, and dinner is ready for us.
This slow cooker split pea soup recipe is a huge hit in our house (and one of the easiest ways to get Lydia to eat veggies).
2 c Ham, diced
½ Onion, diced
1 lb Green peas, dried, split
8 C Chicken Broth
1 Carrot, chopped, large
2 Potatoes, washed, skin on, chopped
1 Ham bone
1 tsp Garlic, minced
2 Bay leaves, dried
1 tsp Italian seasoning (generous teaspoon)
to taste Salt and Pepper
1. Put peas, potatoes, onion, carrot, bay leaves, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and ham bone in the slow cooker (don't forget to use slow cooker liners for easy clean up!)
2. Slowly add the chicken broth. Be sure it covers the bone
3.Cook on high for 5– 6 hours.
4. At the 4 hour mark, add the diced ham
5. When cooking time is complete, and the peas and potatoes are very soft, remove the bone.
6. Dice up any meat that was on the bone and add it back to the slow cooker. With a masher, give the soup a few mashes (careful it’s very hot!), to mash the potatoes, carrots and the peas. No need to mash them completely smooth unless this is the texture you prefer.
Ladle into bowls and serve with a side of bread or crackers. Enjoy!