In this crazy world we live in, does anyone else feel like our time with our children is minimized? Real, quality time. Between social media, work obligations, and the general pace of life…..as parents we need to be very intentional about devoting time to our little ones. Last week, I shared some great mommy and me dates for mothers and daughters…..they got such a great reaction, that I roped my husband in and we brainstormed ten simple daddy daughter date ideas!
- Sports Event: I’m definitely not a sports person. My husband? HUGE college football and basketball fan. So, dads? Take your daughter to a game. A real live game. I hope Lydia loves sports more than I do!
- Where I Go All Week: Take your daughter to visit your work. Lydia knows that during the week daddy is “working”. I doubt she understands what that actually means. Let your daughter visit your office, that way she can picture you when you’re gone!
- Build It: Build something together. A clubhouse. A picture frame. A shelf. If this isn’t your strong suit…..take a class together at Home Depot, they have workshops for kids and parents each weekend!
- Cook Together: Shop for, prep, prepare and enjoy a meal together. Let’s face it, in MOST families…..the moms do the cooking. It’s about time we change that. I don’t care if your meal is a grilled cheese sandwich. Select a menu together, and after preparing…..enjoy (and please don’t forget to put the dishes in the dishwasher!)
- Where We Met: Most mothers feel a strong connection to their children in utero. But dads? It’s the moment they laid eyes on you. Take your daughter back to visit where you first met her. Yup, the hospital. Look at the babies, and tell her about the day she made you a dad. Want to really step it up? Bring cookies for the nurses in labor and delivery…..they deserve them!
- Backyard Sleepover: Set up a campsite in the backyard complete with tent, sleeping bags, and smores!
- Zoo: Head to your local zoo for the day. At the entrance, grab a map and plan out which animals you’d like to visit! Focus on animals from one specific region……
- Dance Class: Take a dance class together! From hip hop to ballroom dancing, kids LOVE to move. Take a class together, who knows….it could even becoming a weekly thing!
- Cinderella: Set up a in-home screening of Cinderella, complete with popcorn and crowns. Bonus if you make your own crowns before the viewing!
- Her Choice: Ask your daughter to set the agenda for the day. Let her pick her favorite activities to share with you!
So parents, what did I leave out? Leave your Daddy Daughter Date Ideas in the comments!