That snails game looks so fun!
Looking for the best board games for 6 year olds? These are all a great price (and fun for the whole family not just for kids)!
If you're working on spending quality time with your children, a family game night filled with classic board games (and a few soon to be classic) is a great way to do it. In the last year or so, we've started testing out different games and now that Lydia is six, she's really into both board and card games. I've been keeping an ongoing list of the board games we all love (and some are even ideal for including younger kids, so the siblings won't be left out). Board games are great for developing social skills, taking turns, and gasp….even losing (or winning) gracefully.
The Best Board Games for 6 Year Olds
Shop the Best Board Games for 6 Year Olds:
This is a list of OUR favorite board games for 6 year olds. A few tips? Review the rules before EACH game. At this age, they don't totally remember the detail until they've played a number of times. This way you'll avoid the “not fair” complaints and everyone will be on the same page. Avoid huge scenes when one person wins. Focus on the fun of being together and playing. No prizes, no major bragging scenes. Just enjoy the game.
- Block Stacking Game: Who doesn't love Jenga? This game is perfect for travel, and can be played over and over again. Trust me, you'll be surprised at how good a kindergartner is versus the adults.
- Chutes and Ladders: Chutes and Ladders is made for ages three and up (so perfect for including younger kids). It's a fun game that doesn't require reading, and is all based on a spinner. Plus, it's a classic! Did you play it when you were little?!?
- Candyland: Another great option for younger kids? Candyland. This game is based on colored cards and kids can probably even play it on their own after a few practice rounds. Another total classic (Lydia's school even had a life sized version at the fall carnival last year)!
- Snail's Pace Race: If you've got a board game newbie, Snail's Pace Race is a great place to start. In this game, everyone wins. It's more about teamwork versus competition. You role a die, and move snails of each color along. It's more about seeing which color finishes first versus which player.
- Zingo: This game of Bingo can go on over and over again FOREVER. It's fun, it's easy, and kids love covering their game pieces with tokens as they come out.
- UNO: Uno is another classic, and a card game that adults will love too. This one involves a decent amount of strategy, so I'd suggest ages six and up!
- Hedbanz: This guessing game comes in a million different themes, and Disney is our favorite!
- Scrabble Junior: This is a perfect first Scrabble game and a great way to practice letter recognition. One side of the board has words written on it, and the players job is to match their letter tiles with those words. Since most six year olds are working on letters and blending words (along with sight words) this is a top recommendation of mine for one of the best board games for 6 year olds, it's perfect for practicing those skills)!
- Connect 4: Another classic board game option? Connect 4! This one is a ton of fun and perfect for kids who are ready for simple strategy games.
- Trouble: We got Trouble recently (it was a sixth birthday gift for my daughter from a classmate) and it's been one of our favorites ever since. The Frozen 2 version? Yup, we got it too, and it's EVEN BETTER! You get to play with ice tongs!
- Guess Who?: This game is a fun one, kids will love trying to guess their opponents' mystery character!
What do you think? Are you implementing family game night? What are YOUR favorite board games for 6 year olds? Am I missing any?
Holiday Shopping? We've got you covered at Target!
I've teamed up with a group of bloggers to give one lucky winner
a chance to win a $500 Target Gift Card!
To enter: complete the steps in the Rafflecopter below. The more steps you complete,
the more entries you receive, and the better your chance at winning!
This giveaway runs until Wednesday, December 16th at 12am PST
Winner will be announced here. Good Luck!
*this giveaway is in no way sponsored by Target.
Leave a Comment