I can’t stand how cute you guys are! Any tips for coordinating photos with animals? (because I am totally single and my cat is my child) haha!
Wondering what to wear in family photos? These great Family Photo Ideas are just what you need to make your pictures pop with personality!
These family picture tips are written in partnership with Minted.
Family Photo Ideas: How To Pick What To Wear
Take a deep breath. Halloween has passed, and we've officially entered the holiday season. That means we're all already behind on Christmas shopping and baking. The hustle and bustle of the winter is here….and family photos are on all of our to-do lists.
After more family photo shoots than I can count (blogging is so weird sometimes)…..we've collected some amazing tips from the photographers we work with on how to select outfits.
// Mom: shirt / grey tulle skirt c/o Bliss Tulle / boots / leather earrings //
// Dad: shirt / jeans / shoes //
// Lydia: shirt / skirt c/o Bliss Tulle / boots / bow c/o Pitchochin //
photos by Cindy Green Photography
What to Wear in Family Pictures:
- Plan Coordinated Colors: We always select one or two main colors as the theme for our pictures. For instance, this shoot? Grey and black with pops of red. See how all the outfits blend together?
- Minimal Patterns: Patterns are very hard to shoot, and can easily look dated. Solid colors won't go out of style and are much each to color or blur if your photographer needs to do so after the fact. Plus, they're more likely to coordinate with any background you choose at your location. Ditto to logos, none. And no character shirts for the kids. You'll thank me later.
- What Reflects You as a Family: Rookie mistake, for our first family photos…..I forced my husband to wear a shirt he hated. Because it matched. No joke, he still complains that he doesn't like those pictures. Should you coordinate? YES. Should you torture your family members? No. In the list of family photo ideas – this is probably one of the most important to consider.
- For Younger Children Find Outfits that Engage Them: Toddlers are notoriously difficult during photo shoots. What helps? Props or outfits they love to show off. Lydia's currently obsessed with “twirly skirts” and ballerinas. So these mommy and me tulle skirts from Bliss Tulle were pretty much a requirement. She loved showing our photographer how she could twirl and jump in her skirt….and it made for some adorable photos!
- Don't Wear White: Every photographer laughs when I say this. White is hard to shoot. The white in your shirt can confuse the white balance in a camera against most skin tones. Plus, white against the sky or a light wall? Doesn't look good. Think darker colors or soft tones. They tend to be more flattering and to shoot well.
- Consider Location: What you wear in a shoot in your local forest will be different than a family photo shoot at Disneyland. Think of what you would ACTUALLY wear in that location…..it will look much more authentic.
Want more inspiration for family photo shoot outfits? Check out our entire what to wear in family photo shoots series!
So, wondering what to do with these adorable family photos? Holiday cards of course! Enter Minted. Minted is a community of independent artists that houses amazing options for holiday cards. So, you get a HUGE variety when it comes to card designs. What did we want? Clean, modern, and something that would compliment our color scheme. Isn’t it perfect? And with Minted’s customizable options we created a collage on the back of our card so our friends and family could see more of our year!
These top Family Photo Ideas are just what you need when you are struggling to figure out what to wear for your upcoming photo shoot. Whether you are shooting a holiday card or simple family images to go on your wall in a frame, these tips are just what you need!
Don't forget to check out all of our Family Photo Ideas linked above and sign up below to receive our newsletter!
Leave a Comment