My favorite Christmas Book is Olivia Saves Christmas
Gearing up for the holidays? These are 17 must read Christmas Books!
‘Tis the season. The season for peppermint, red and green decor, stories by the fire, and dressing up. Last weekend, I unpacked our favorite Christmas books. We keep them stored away for most of the year and it's always fun to pull them out especially for the months of November and December.
From the classic picture books I read myself as a child to some of the amazing newer Christmas books that were published in the last few years…..there are so many amazing options for holiday stories…..and they make the absolute best gifts.
Shop All Christmas Books:
17 Must Read Christmas Books:
Be warned, as a literacy specialist and former elementary school teacher…..books are my passion. So this is just the tip of the Christmas book list iceberg, ha!
* = books that are a part of Amazon's buy two and save 50% off on 1 deal
- The Night Before Christmas: It's a total class, right? This classic version of the story has beautiful illustrations.
- *How the Grinch Stole Christmas: The Grinch has a whole new generation of fans thanks to the recent movies. My suggestion? Read the book first, and THEN watch the movies!
- *The Polar Express: This is one of my personal favorites, it's an absolutely magical story. Yes, there is also a film, but yet again……..read the book FIRST!
- *The Mitten: This adorable winter themed story is a GREAT one for younger kids. It's the sweetest story of a group of animals sharing…..a mitten.
- *The Snowy Day: Another classic. This story is a great one for the first snowy day in your area!
- Santa Mouse: This was my favorite growing up. It's so cute, and a fun take on Santa!
- The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet: Are you going to the Nutcracker ballet this year? Be sure to read the story first!
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: This Little Golden Book is based on the classic movie. It's a great one for preschoolers!
- Santa Bruce: We got this book last year (we even took holiday pictures with it) and it's SUPER cute!
- *The Snowman: This story is PERFECT for younger kids, it has NO words, so they can tell their own based on the pictures!
- *The Legend of the Poinsettia: This beautiful story outlines the Mexican legend that shares how the Poinsettia came to be (and the illustrations are AWESOME).
- *The Story of Holly and Ivy: This sweet story is the perfect gift along with a doll!
- *The Sweet Smell of Christmas: Who doesn't love a scratch and sniff Christmas book? This is must own!
- Pedro: The Angel of Olvera Street: I read this story with my class every year. This award winning book tells the story of a little boy celebrating Posada, and is beautifully done!
- *Christmas in the Manger: Looking for a traditional Christmas story? This one comes in a board book version!
- *Goodnight North Pole: You know those adorable Good Night books you can buy that share different cities? Well, here's the North Pole version!
- *All the Colors of Christmas: This new Christmas book is an adorable inclusive story about how all children are reflected in the joy and colors of Christmas!
What are YOUR favorite Christmas books?!?
Leave a Comment