We also like the “Press Start” series. They are somewhere between a chapter book and a comic book, part of Scholastic’s Branchers line and based on video game tropes.
On the hunt for chapter books for kids? These are 23 options for books series that your child will love!
Now that Lydia has moved from picture books to chapter books……we're in a whole new reading world and I'm loving it. Don't get me wrong, I love love love classic pictures books…..from Cinderella books to tried and true classics to interactive books our bookshelves are filled with stunning books that we love and books that we will still enjoy. But there's something about diving into a chapter book and getting lost in a longer story. And my absolute favorite? Series chapter books for kids. I have the best childhood memories of sticking a great series up by my bed and reading under the covers with a flashlight for weeks on end. I got lost in the pages of a great Roald Dahl book or as I followed the Wilder from the Little House in the Big Woods to the Prairie.
This book list is filled with 23 suggestions from our library along with suggestions you guys gave me on Instagram stories for your favorite series chapter books for kids. I ordered a few new ones based on your favorites and can't wait to check them all out with Lydia.
23 Series Chapter Books for Kids
Shop all Series Chapter Books for Kids:
- Junie B. Jones: These are Lydia's current fav, she's OBSESSED. We ordered the full box set of all 28 books and she's more than halfway through them. Junie B is a feisty (ha) kindergarten with a pretty silly take on the world.
- The Little House Series: Did you read the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder when you were little? These books are based on the real life of the author, and they're an amazing way to help our kids explore life from another time. I'd suggest these for third grade and up.
- Ramona: The Ramona series was one of my personal favorites growing up. Beverly Cleary's tales of Ramona and her older sister Beezus are funny, sweet and oh so relatable. And the best part? Ramona did girl power all along. She's a total powerhouse!
- The Dog Man Series: This series from the creator of Captain Underpants is WILDLY popular. This positive series is lead by a character who is…..half man and half dog. He fights crime too!
- Dork Diaries: This series is perfect for ages nine to eleven and follows the adventures of Nikki Maxwell as she navigates middle school and all that comes with it.
- Harry Potter: Who doesn't love Harry Potter? This is one of my favorite options for chapter books for kids series. We all know it's a little dark, so proceed with caution with sensitive or younger kids.
- Geronimo Stilton: Got a fantasy loving kiddo? The adventures of Geronimo Stilton are the BEST, this rodent takes you on treasure hunts, into haunted houses, and more (perfect for children ages 6 to 10).
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: This series? A major hit. Kids LOVE the stories of Greg and his journey through middle school. I'd suggest it for children ages seven to eleven.
- The Magic Treehouse Series: One of the most popular series of chapter books for kids. EVER. This series has a TON of books and tells the story of a set of siblings who discover….a magic treehouse that transports them to adventure after adventure.
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Chronicles of Narnia (the entire series that includes the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) are great middle grade chapter books. They're intricate, full of adventure, and bonus? The movies are great, so fun to watch after finishing the books. These classics tell the stories of four siblings who find a portal to a fantasy filled world (Narnia)through…..their wardrobe.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: This popular middle grade book series was just confirmed as a Disney Plus coming soon series, so standby for it to blow up even more! The series follows Percy (a demigod) through all his adventures. It's a TON of fun to read!
- The Boxcar Children: Did you read this series as a child? It was first released in 1942 and is still as popular as ever. The series follows a group of children as they solve mysteries and is a really fun glimpse into another time!
- Princess in Black: This series is a total favorite in our household and proof that princesses can also be pretty hardcore. I love that the princess in these stories is the hero, and a pretty amazing one at that!
- Disney Princess Beginnings: A TON of you recommended these books and can you believe we'd never heard of them? I ordered a couple and Lydia is so excited to start them. These chapter books for kids are perfect for Disney fans, they tell the stories of each Disney Princess as a young child.
- The Never Girls: Another new to us series (I also ordered it, ha) sounds perfect for ages six to nine or ten and tells the stories of four girls who wish to visit Neverland……..
- Henry and Mudge: This series is a classic and for good reason, it's such a fun read! These books tell the stories of Henry and his dog Mudge. They're sweet, entertaining and perfect for lower grade independent readers.
- Dragon Masters: Dragon Masters are ideal starter books, they're specifically created to help kids bridge from picture books to chapter books. They're a ton of fun to read (tell the adventures of a boy who adventures through a land of magic and adventure) and perfect for younger kids.
- Zoe and Sassafras: This easy to read chapter book series is a PERFECT starter for newly independent readers. It shares the adventures of Zoe and her cat, Sassafras and has great illustrations!
- A to Z Mysteries: These adorable stories are meant to be read in…..alphabetical order and tell the stories of three kids solving fun mysteries!
- Mercy Watson: If you've got an animal loving kiddo, Mercy Watson books are PERFECT! Mercy Watson is a lovable pig who goes on some pretty fun adventures!
- Dory Fantasmagory: Dory? She's the youngest in her family, and her older siblings won't play with the baby. Her adventures? What Dory comes up with on her own, and they're hysterical!
- Fly Guy: This popular series is comic-book esq and a ton of fun to read. Who doesn't love the adventures of……a boy and a fly?
- Land of Stories: I love love love this series. It merges classic fairy tales and modern fiction. A brother and sister end up in….the Land of Stories where they interact with all their favorite characters.
What are your favorite series chapter books for kids? Did you find any new ones to order here?
Leave a Comment