Looking for fun activities to do with your little ones after work and school? These evening playdate ideas are perfect when you are short on time….and we’re wearing the perfect athleisure outfit for chasing speedy toddlers!
This post is sponsored by Vocalpoint and DICK’s Sporting Goods ®. All opinions are my own.
Working mamas, you’re going to relate to this post. Do you feel like during the week, your quality time with your little ones is minimal? Let’s be honest, even for moms who are working by being home with their babies……it’s REALLY hard to fit quality time in between the tasks of everyday life. Recently, I’ve been feeling like I like in a hamster wheel. The alarms goes off each morning, and we rush through the day. By the time I pick Lydia up, it’s time for dinner. We have little time to just be together. So, I made some adjustments…..and it’s made ALL the difference. Now that we have light in the evening, I’ve been planning short family activities for Lydia and I to do after work. These all take 30 minutes or less, and I love that when my head hits the pillow……we’ve had a little quality time together.5 Evening Playdates For Busy Families:
- Park Stops: A few evenings a week, Lydia and I stop by a park on the way home from her school. For thirty minutes we watch the ducks, pick flowers, and run around. The key? I found one right off our route home. We don’t go totally out of our way, and there’s always parking.
- Make Errands a Family Activity: Grocery shopping with a toddler? Kind of a disaster half the time. I dread stopping for groceries on the way home. One thing that changed that? I plan to spend a little longer in the store, and Lydia and I shop TOGETHER. She helps me to locate items on the list, and she even has her own little shopping bag.
- Exercise Together: Sometimes, you have to multitask. Instead of going to the gym alone…..I pick up Lydia, and then run with her in our running stroller. What makes it fun? We listen to music, and the run ends at the playground at the end of our block. She climbs, runs, and then happily walks home holding my hand.
- Cooking Class: You have to eat, right? Lately Lydia and I have been planning and preparing meals together. We stop by our local farmer’s market on the way home and select ingredients. Her favorite? Homemade pizza on english muffins. It takes 10 minutes and my little picky eater cleans her plate!
- Library Drive-By: One of the best places to stop on the way home? Our local library. It closes at 7 pm, and is usually pretty empty by 5:00. We spend 20 minutes sitting in the children’s section reading, and then select two books to bring home for bedtime.
One of the biggest things that has helped us enjoy this time together? Being prepared. My work clothes aren’t always ideal for playdates. So, I decided to keep a change of clothes in my car. A couple weeks ago, Lydia and I took a trip to Dick’s Sporting Goods and we each picked out an evening playdate outfit (note the matching shoes). The store was amazing, and honestly? I left with a laundry list of items I wanted to buy. From adorable athletic apparel for ALL of us to equipment for playdates and workouts…..I loved seeing all the options for our family. In fact, Lydia’s been begging to go back and buy a soccer ball.
If you’d like to prep for playdates, an athleisure outfit like ours, or update your sporting equipment……scroll down. Dick’s Sporting Goods is giving one of you a $50 gift card!