Ok…..let’s talk Valentine’s Day. It’s coming. And if your household is anything like mine….you’re about to be asked for a Valentine’s Day Wishlist. In the last year or two, we’ve been trying to give each other less STUFF. We’ve planned experiences, trips, favors……in a world of clutter, we’re trying to look at holidays as a chance to give to each other in creative ways. So mamas, feel free to forward this on to your husband. Straight out of my email outbox, here is a list of great Valentine’s Day gift ideas…..that any mom would be happy to receive.
10 Things All Moms Want for Valentine’s Day (that aren’t things):
- Naps – Is it weird that I wanted to just write naps ten times and be done with this list? In most families, mom is the first to wake up and the last to go to bed. And during the kids’ naptime? You’re either at work or cleaning up the mess from the day. What do I want? A totally uninterrupted nap. Want major points? Give me a coupon for 5 naps.
- To Not Worry About Dinner – As a working mom, sometimes making dinner is the absolute last thing I want to do after a day of work. Take over a night. Honestly, I don’t care if you make grilled cheese sandwiches or pick up take out…..I just want to not think about a menu.
- A Flashback Day: What did you love to do before having kids? For me, it was spin class. I know, really random. But I went a couple days a week. Now? The times just don’t work. Hire a sitter. Book me a class. It shows me that you remember what I used to do, when it was just us.
- Get out of Cleaning Free Cards: Give me three Get out of Cleaning Free cards. Sometimes, you just don’t want to clean the house AGAIN. You clean it. Hire a maid. Seriously, every now and again a mom wants to hear “oh it’s ok, you don’t need to clean this”.
- Do the Laundry: Folding, putting away and all. Extra points if you match all the socks.
- Do Nothing Day: A whole day of nothing. Nowhere to be. No makeup to put on. Take the kids out for the day, and let me be alone. I’ll watch TV, relax and trust me…..you’ll come home to a very happy mom!
- Girls’ Night Out: Set up a night out with my girlfriends….the ones I never see without the kids. Yup, strategize with the other dads. Set up a dinner date for you guys and the kids….and let us all go out to a nice dinner.
- A Date with You at Home: No need for a huge production, let’s put on sweats. We can drink wine and watch Netflix. Just the fact that you planned it? Means the World.
- Surprise Fancy Date: On the flip side……book a sitter, and plan a night out. Just be sure to tell me so that I have enough time to do my hair!
- Family Date: Get the kids involved! Help them plan a romantic dinner for us at home. Can they make spaghetti with your supervision? Decorate placemats? Set the table? Serve us dinner and serenade us while we eat? Because after all, they’re the reason we celebrate…..right? It would be awfully boring with out them!
If you loved this…..check out 10 Resolutions Every Mom Should Make!