Pregnant? Not sure what you actually need to buy in terms of maternity clothes? I got some great advice about wardrobe choices, and now in hindsight…..there were definitely things I got tons of wear out of, and things that I would probably not invest in again!
The reality is, you’re only going to be wearing these clothes for about 8 months. Do you want to spend a million dollars? I didn’t. Did I want to still feel good about myself and my appearance, absolutely!
My advice? Buy some great staples…..in neutral colors. I got a TON of use out of these pieces. I was able to wear my cardigans, vests, and accessories (obviously) throughout my pregnancy and used them to remix the basics. Buy things a size bigger than you think you’ll need…..I sized up when I was about 18 – 20 weeks……and was able to wear my clothes until the end without outgrowing them!
A few of the basics that I wore a TON:
Jeans : I loved this basic pair, and they didn’t cost an arm and a leg!
Colored Pants : While I rarely wore colored pants before pregnancy, as my stomach got bigger….my legs looked smaller. Might as well emphasize that, right?
Basic Tees: Necessary. I wore these tees under EVERYTHING. Add a cute vest, and you’re perfectly on trend.
Blouse: A couple basic blouses will go a long way. This black basic from target mixed with EVERYTHING, and I dressed it up with sweaters and statement jewelry.
Striped Tunic: Love this. Wore it from week 18 until week 39. No joke. I’ll even wear it after pregnancy. It worked with shorts in the summer and skinny jeans all fall.
Black Dress: A basic necessity. I splurged and bought a nicer black dress…..totally worth it. I wore it to a TON of events……..just switched up the shoes and accessories!
Leggings: Required. I know, maternity leggings sound cheesy. But, you’ll be happy you have them. I bought a brown pair and a black pair…..and they carried me all the way through.
Colored Dress: Gotta have a little fun, right? I bought a couple bright colored dresses and wore them all summer long….then just layered them with boots and sweaters in the fall. Live somewhere cold? Maternity tights will get you through the winter.
Pencil Skirt: Funny, I was SUPER anti pencil skirt before pregnancy. I thought they emphasized my hips, which I guess they did. But, they definitely became a favorite. Add booties? one of those tunics? You’re good to go!
Welcome to Funday Monday! Here are a few of our favorites from last week’s Funday Monday link-up party:
- Follow your hosts Molly @ still being [molly] & Carly @ Lipgloss & Crayons, and your guest host for the week, Rebecca @ Rebecca Lately!
- Grab a button and / or post a link back here in your BLOG POST (NOT your blog’s main page) so your readers know what all the #fundaymonday-ness is about. We love you guys linking up and we do go through and read all your posts… so if you do not give credit, we will have to remove your link. That’s no fun, right? Right. So be nice and share a link! Pretty please?
- Link your blog post up using the linky tool below! It can be ANYTHING! An outfit post, a giveaway, a story, a recipe, whatever. Why? Cause it’s #fundaymonday!
- Visit a blog or four that you’ve never been to before and leave a #fundaymonday comment – you never know, you might “meet” someone new that you will lurve!
- Have fun! Cause it’s Monday!
Want to cohost #FundayMonday? We are currently accepting weekly cohosts to start in January! Please email us at [email protected] for more info!